Subject: Re: Freeing system memory
From: [email-masked] ("Randell Jesup")
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 01:12:00 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.programmer

>DA> if I use AvailMem it reports the maximum size of free chip/fastmem. To gain more free memory I can Closeworkbench().
>DA> Does anyone have an idea of furthermore temporary CloseDowns which does not void the system,

>getmem(1000000000,...)
>
>If AmigaDos cannot find any memory-chunk of that size, it frees all
>unused fonts and libraries in memory (normally they are not released
>immediately after a "closelibrary"/"closefont"). Of course this getmem
>will fail (return 0) but I'm sure AvailMem will show you more memory
>as before.

	Be careful: on a machine with VM software, you might actually GET
the 100 MB of "memory".  I advise being paranoid, and if the allocation
by some chance succeeds, free the memory.

-- 
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
[email-masked]
Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer, class of '94
#include <std/disclaimer>